My Hair’s Attributes and Challenges
About my hair and how I care for it:
- I don’t have “a curl” <— I get this question ALL the time. I assume they’re talking about a Jheri Curl… I’ve only had a perm to straighten my hair only and I’ve had them continuously since I was 5-7 years old. I’ve been chemical independent since February 15, 2012!
- I have microscopically thin individual strands with a small amount of medium strands scattered throughout. I have a lot of these individual strands though, making my hair thick.
- I do not manipulate my hair at all while dry! If want to use my fingers to make a part, or bobby pin a piece here or there, I mist my hair with water. I definitely don’t detangle (finger or otherwise) if it’s not sopping wet and slathered with conditioner.
- I re-wash and go mostly everyday. If I skip a day, I revitalize my bedhead curls my squirting my hair with my nifty spray bottle-o-water, then I might follow up with Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Mist. I rarely go no more than 2 days without completely redoing my hair.
- I find that I cannot use rinse out conditioners as leave in’s as they lather/froth and, most time, leave a white cast in my hair after it dries (which can take 8-10 hours!). I use conditioners/creams/puddings especially specified to be used as a leave in with the exception of some deep conditioners, such as CJ Curl Rehab.
- Avoid glycerin as the Florida climate I live in doesn’t allow for it. The dew points are 70 and above right now!
- I’m not protein sensitive – I don’t avoid them in the regular amounts in regular products. I do not do protein treatments, though.
- I have not used silicones in my routine, though I can see the benefits others have with them. I haven’t had any issues retaining moisture, so I don’t need it as a sealer. Detangling is pretty easy using a slippery conditioner, so I don’t need it as a detangler. Also, I only shampoo every other week, so they could cause potential build up or block moisture until I thoroughly cleanse my hair.
- Extremely afraid of heat and heat damage. I’ve had straight hair all my life and at this time I have no desire to straighten or see any length.
- Issue: Spacey left sided edges Intervention: Apply jojoba oil on edges at night to create a barrier and protect against the band on my bonnet that sits right on my edges and no pulled back styles (I have a TWA… Not that hard!).
- Issue: Prevent whiteness from leave in’s Intervention: Avoid frothy rinse out conditioners. Use a creamier, slightly heavier leave in, like ones specifically made to be left in.
- Issue: Reverse whiteness post product application Intervention: Homer – Doh!
This is a run down. Here’s a more elaborate version.